By Amy Ongaro
Are those wedding bells we hear? The Pride festival is home to many GLBTQ resources and events — and as of 2014, that includes wedding ceremonies! Yes, you can get married at Pride. #DreamComeTrue
Last year, Pride expanded the offering from commitment ceremonies to weddings, and married six couples at the festival. The same package is available to couples this year. “I’m thrilled we are able to help people be legally married with 300,000 of their closest friends and community members in attendance!” said Dot Belstler, Twin Cities Pride executive director.
One-hour slots are available on Saturday and Sunday of Pride weekend. The package includes time to gather guests, get dressed, conduct the ceremony, and take pictures. The ceremony takes place in a white decorated tent, complete with a raised platform, sound system, and chairs for 50 guests, near the formal gardens and lake in Loring Park.
- A marriage license must be applied for at the Hennepin County Service Center at least five days before the wedding date and brought to the ceremony.
- An officiant will be available, but couples are welcome to bring their own!
- Couples may schedule a rehearsal with the onsite wedding coordinator on the Thursday or Friday before the weekend.
- Couples wishing to get married at Pride can contact Mary Pokluda at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dot Belstler at email@example.com for more information.
Get Married at Pride Package
- A personal assistant
- An officiant (should you need one)
- Changing tent
- Parking space (for two hours)
- Speakers for music of your choosing