Minnesota Remembers Vietnam, an initiative of Twin Cities PBS – TPT, will be bringing The Wall That Heals, a three-quarter scale mobile replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., to the Minnesota State Capitol grounds Thursday, June 21 through Sunday, June 24, 2018. The Wall That Heals exhibit is free and open to the public 24 hours each day, allowing Minnesotans the opportunity to remember, honor, understand and heal at their own pace.
This is the first time Minnesotans can experience the new, larger Wall replica that is 375 feet in length and stands 7.5 feet high at its tallest point. Like the original Memorial, The Wall That Heals honors more than three million Americans who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War and contains more than 58,000 names that are listed by day of casualty. Visitors will be able to do name rubbings of individual service member’s names for the first time in the history of The Wall That Heals.
Special scheduled events include an Opening Ceremony at 9 a.m. Thursday June 21st; a Public Commemoration featuring a fly-over of vintage Vietnam-era aircraft Saturday June 23rd at 4 p.m.; and an evening of Minnesota stories and music at 7 p.m. Saturday June 23rd at the Ordway (ticketed event).
Visitors are invited to attend additional daily experiences to build a deeper understanding about the war:
• Mobile Education Center – Explore the Vietnam Veterans Memorial legacy and the collection of items left at The Wall That Heals within the 53-foot trailer that accompanies The Wall That Heals.
• Huey Helicopter Display – More than 10,000 Hueys were used by U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War; see a static display of this icon up close.
• Mobile Museum – An opportunity to handle many of the things that soldiers carried as well as other artifacts and uniform displays provided by the Minnesota Military Museum.
• Veterans’ Resource Area – Enjoy refreshments and connect with fellow veterans while learning about local resources for all veterans and their families.
• Documentary Screenings – Cool off indoors and check out TPT’S latest Minnesota Remembers Vietnam content and other partner broadcasts.
• Story Sharing – With the help of our team, add your own voice to our growing archive of nearly 1,000 Vietnam War stories.
Minnesota Remembers Vietnam: The Wall That Heals is the final large-scale event of the Twin Cities PBS and Minnesota PBS stations’ Minnesota Remembers Vietnam initiative. For more information about The Wall That Heals, please visit www.MNVietnam.org/wall.
ABOUT TWIN CITIES PBS (TPT)
The mission of TPT is to “enrich lives and strengthen communities through the power of media.” As one of the nation’s leading public media organizations, TPT uses television, digital media and community engagement to advance education, culture and citizenship. Over its 60-plus year history, TPT has been recognized for its innovation and creativity, particularly in STEM media production. Based in St. Paul, MN, TPT is one of the highest rated PBS affiliates in the nation, reaching over 1.3 million people each month through multiple broadcast and online channels. The organization’s particular areas of focus include: the educational readiness of children; serving the needs and unleashing the potential of America’s aging population; engaging a new generation in the power of public media; and being the preferred media partner for organizations that align with our mission to enrich lives and strengthen community. For more information, visit TPT online, follow TPT on Facebook and Twitter.