EVENT:THE FOURTH IN THE PARK
EVENT DATE: WEDNESDAY, JULY 4TH, 2018
LOCATION: ST.ANTHONY PARK/LANGFORD PARK/COMO AVENUE
PHONE: 651.230.1163, 651.468.6336, or 651.343.7365
It’s almost that special time of year again, where you pull out your flag, grab your lawn chair and put on that red, white and blue…the annual 4th in the Park parade and picnic are almost here!
This year will be the 71st anniversary and we’ll be adding new, exciting elements to the day including: Back to the 4th happy hour, food trucks and improved sound system. For the second year, the kid’s zone will be located on the south end of the park and will include: face painting, ponies, an inflatable obstacle course and races.
The full schedule of events is inside but here are a few highlights of the day:
– Fun run: Start your day with a 2 or 4 mile race in the neighborhood at 8:30 a.m. (register at 8 a.m. at Langford Recreation Center)
– Parade: At 11 a.m., the eclectic and vibrant parade winds its way down Como Avenue, starting from Luther Place. Neighborhood and reunion groups, nonprofits and friends are encouraged to enter and gather at Luther Place and Grantham Street. Kids can ride their brightly decorated bikes, trikes or wagons as the parade finale; participants gather at 10:30 a.m. at Ned’s Park Service, 2277 Como Avenue. Also, at Ned’s, get your free U.S. flag and free custom-designed 4th in the Park shirt, while supplies last!
– Park activities: The parade ends in Langford Park, where speeches, music, pony rides, volleyball, horseshoes, bean bag toss, tennis and more await. Or just relax with your family and friends over a picnic.
– Food Trucks: New this year, we will be adding several food truck options which will be stationed around the east side of the park. The Saint Anthony Park Booster Club will also be selling refreshments on the north side of the tennis courts and down by the bandstand.
The 4th would be nothing without our fabulous team of volunteers! Sign up NOW for a variety of tasks and be part of the best 4th of July event in Saint Paul. Sign up at: tinyurl.com/4thParkVolunteer and see what duties are available or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to take part in the parade contact Marie Lister, Parade Coordinator, at email@example.com or 612.270.3984.
So plan on a great 4th! Run a race. Decorate your bike. Shake a politician’s hand. Visit with old friends. Relax with family. Eat a popsicle or three. Play some horseshoes. Listen to great music. We hope to see you there!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR THE 71st ANNUAL 4TH IN THE PARK:
8 a.m. LANGFORD PARK RACES
Registration at the Recreation Building ($.50 registration fee). Races start at 8:30.
4 miles: Divisions for men, women, & masters (40 & over).
2 miles: Joggers and juniors (15 & younger).
10:30 a.m. GRAND PARADE ASSEMBLY
Children’s bikes, trikes, wagons, etc. assemble at Ned’s Park Service. Bands, vehicles and marching units assemble at Luther Place.
11 a.m. GRAND PARADE BEGINS
Proceeding from Luther Place, down Como Avenue to Langford Park via Knapp Avenue. Parade includes color guard, neighborhood units, bands, floats, VIPs, music, kids and much more!
12 p.m. BANDSTAND PROGRAM
Following the parade, a program including the patriotic essay winners and music from the Saint Anthony Park Community Band will take place at the bandstand in Langford Park.
REFRESHMENT STAND & FOOD TRUCKS OPEN
The Saint Anthony Park Booster Club will be selling beverages, chips and other refreshments in locations throughout the park. Hungry? Eat from a variety of food trucks lined up along Langford Park East.
HORSESHOES, VOLLEYBALL, BEAN BAG TOSS & TENNIS TOURNAMENTS
Registration and check in is 12pm to 1pm. Pre-register by calling Langford Park Recreation Center at 651.298.5765. Tournaments begins sharply at 1 p.m.
1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. PIG’S EYE JASS BAND & LIGHT OF THE MOON PERFORM AT THE BANDSTAND
1 p.m. – 4 p.m. PONY RIDES & KID’S ACTIVITIES
Because of construction to the elementary school all kid’s activities have moved down to the south side of the park behind the recreation center. Kids can get their face painted, go for a pony ride or take a turn on the inflatable obstacle course!
2:30 p.m. – 4 p.m. RACES & CONTESTS
Family fun events for kids of all ages! Ribbons for all participants.
DJ PERFORMS AT BANDSTAND
4 p.m. – 6 p.m. **BACK TO THE 4TH HAPPY HOUR**
New this year! Keep the celebration going at the Sunrise Banks parking lot on the corner of Como Avenue and Doswell Avenue where you’ll be able to once again hear the tunes of The Rockin’ Hollywoods and enjoy some brews from Rush River Brewing Company.
**This event only happens because of the generosity of our local neighbors & businesses.**
**Donations are greatly appreciated!**
There are several easy ways to donate:
– Online at: 4thinthepark.org/donate-now
– Mail donation in return envelope to: 4th in the Park Committee, PO Box 8062, St. Paul, MN 55108
– Drop off donation in return envelope at the information desk at Sunrise Bank.
Like 4th in the Park on Facebook & check our website, 4thinthePark.org for updates & info.
The 4th in the Park is put on by The Fourth in the Park Committee & sponsored by Sunrise Banks, The Saint Anthony Park Community Foundation, St. Paul Parks & Recreation & YOU!